Monday, February 2, 2009

Deluge of Denim


I popped into the DI today to pass a few minutes and as I rounded the shelf of black shoes, I was overwhelmed by the two tall rounders filled with Denim. Not jeans denim, denim dresses and overalls. There were so many in fact that there was a rack dedicated to denim dresses. Another rack next to it was jammed with discarded overalls. An entire rack! Upon further investigation, I noticed that there were 5 pairs of light olive khaki Gloria Vanderbilt overalls in varying sizes. In almost new condition. Could they be store overstocks, I thought? No, they were owned by completely different women. All purchased for around $15 at Sam's Club. How do I know this?? I owned some myself. By some I mean 2 pair, one olive green khaki and one light khaki. My BFF had a matching pair too. As I think back, I even owned 2 denim dresses, one was a denim overall dress! Who convinced us this was a good thing to wear? Do we buy things because everyone else is or because they are cheap? Does anyone still wear these? Do people like the wedgie feeling you get while wearing overalls and bending over? This is what actually convinced me to abandon my collection of Gloria Vanderbilt's, just a short 5 years ago.

So, I am deeply affected by the enormous amount of denim clothing that I witnessed today at Desert Industries. It had me thinking about how much can change in 5 years. So I composed a list of some things that have changed in just 5 years or 1825 days.

Denim dresses/overalls are very cool. Although when searching for a picture, I saw a caption that said they were slowly coming back...

You could buy scrunchies at the store.

Barack Obama, was running for a seat in the U.S. Senate.

George W. Bush is TIME's 2004 Person of the Year.

I was changing diapers on a 1 year old!


This was all I could think of. What has changed for you?

No comments: